Sunday, December 09, 2012

Christmas Makes

My mom was a real nature girl, and used to collect bird feathers that she found on her walks through the woods.  She got me interested in both birds and their feathers, and even I started a collection of feathers when I was younger and living in the country.  That habit died out for me when I moved into town, but I still have my treasured shoe box full of feathers - some that I found myself and some that Mom would bring home for me.  But what to do with a shoe box full of feathers?!

Then I saw this neat idea on The Crafty Crow a while back and filed it in my muddled brain as a good Christmas decoration. 

 

I have quite a few more feathers than this person (I have Mom's now too!) and made mine like this! 


These clear glass ornaments are tricky to photograph, but I think you get the idea.  I used a flat disk rather than the round globe.   I loosely sewed the tip of most of the feathers together so they would not all sit in a pile on the bottom, and brought the thread through the silver clip top (oops! you can even see it!).  And then a couple of loose feathers are floating in there.   


This one I'm sending out to my brother in BC.  These are feather's from our mom's collection from some of her favourite birds that lived in our woods.  Downy woodpeckers, goldfinch, cedar waxwing, ruffed grouse, blue jays and cardinals.  Our woods were very colourful!!   I think my brother will like the sentimental value :)

I also knitted up some quick coasters to go with some mugs for my bro.  I made these from a very quick pattern here


Although I knit my coasters from cotton and didn't felt them (obviously...cotton!).  I like how the pattern shows up with the increases on this little project.  It'll add just a little bit more to the mugs and hot cocoa mix I'm packing up :)

....and now back to wrapping and packing!!

Thanks for dropping in!!

Wendy :)


15 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, these ornaments are beautiful! I specially like the floating feather. Happy holidays !! Gaia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaia! I'm very happy to have found that idea for the feathers :) Wendy

      Delete
  2. the feathers look amazing in the baubles...what a clever idea.....love the mugs and your coasters match them perfectly...what a fabulous and thoughtful present! happy days x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hose feather baubles look so pretty and delicate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ada, They are pretty, aren't they! (better than my photo shows them) Wendy

      Delete
  4. I must confess I collect feathers too Wendy! And find this idea wonderful!
    My Mum collected leaves and displayed these also.. I am a loving your sweet crochet coasters too...
    Sending you greeting for the season, dear friend!
    Love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria...another mysterious connection here :) My mom collected all little nature things on her walks and displayed them in little vases along her kitchen windowsill. I miss seeing that simple display. Thanks for dopping in...and I hope you're enjoying this Christmas season so far :) Wendy

      Delete
    2. I know just what you mean, Wendy!
      I miss it too....
      I guess our Dear Mums just noticed all the magic of nature all around....
      With kind regards Maria x

      Delete
  5. Feathers are so popular right now, aren't they? I love your idea for the ornaments, and your coasters are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitzi! I've had fun putting these little things together :) Wendy

      Delete
  6. Your feather baubles are soo beautiful.... and what a lovely way to preserve and use something beautiful and precious to you,
    merry days
    Daisy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Daisy! Merry days to you as well :) Wendy

      Delete
  7. Hey Wendy what a creative way to display some of your feather collection.....I love it.
    I collect feathers, can't resist picking them up, although we certainly don't have the variety of birds
    around here that you had when you were growing up.
    I have a variety of chicken feathers collected from my girls. Love the subtle markings as well as the striking and bold feathers.
    I'm sure your brother will appreciate this gift immensely.
    Love your knitted coasters too, a great accompaniment to the mug and and cocoa mix.....

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, thanks for visiting :) I could never resist picking them up either. I have a Coopers Hawk that regularly flies through my neighbourhood, and he landed in my backyard recently. I was hoping he'd drop a feather for me, but no luck (he did leave a few from his meal of a plump mourning dove however :( Wendy

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...