Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thrifting and Thank You

I was having rather a difficult day on Friday, nothing of which would be easy to write about here.  Suffice it to say, all I could think of was "here we go again!".  Life's challenges lately have been just that ... challenging :]

The day started off fairly well, however, as I decided to take a walk up to my local thrift store.  I haven't been there in ages, and although my family sighs a collective sigh of relief when I come home with no tell-tale bags from that store, I was missing my little wanders through the aisles.  I found a few nice things and was very selective about what I picked up ...

 
 A beautiful almond biscuit tin from Italy.  Last summer we took a family trip to Italy, and when I saw this tin, I couldn't resist it ... beautiful artwork, lovely shape, and the colours are so soft and pretty.  It's had some wear, but that makes it even more special because someone loved it before me too.  It'll be perfect for sewing notions.
 
Pretty mountain scene along one side ....
 
 
Beautiful woman looking very imperious on the other ...
 
 
I also picked up this little lidded brown pot (on the right).  I've always had a thing for brown and white stoneware.  It stems from the large pickle crocks my mom used.  Very solid, heavy pieces of crockery that were used for pickles in summer and mincemeat at Christmas.  My little "tea" pot is also reminiscent of the crocks.  For a long time, I wouldn't look twice at this style, but lately I've been drawn to it again, and the little pot is rather cute ... and perhaps a perfect spot to stash a couple of cookies before my kids eat them all ;)
 
 
Having said that, it made sense to pick up this two-cup tea pot ... again in brown.  I've had my eyes peeled for a nice-sized pot to make two cups of tea for me during the day.  Most of the pots I've come across are fairly cheap looking and ugly.  I do have a nice large insulated stainless steel mug with a lid which I use regularly, and I can make good tea right in the mug and it stays hot for over an hour.  But sometimes I want to use the nice pottery mugs I have, but don't like making tea in the pottery mugs.  So this small pot fits the bill perfectly, and I've used it numerous times already ... love it!
 
 
So all in all, some nice finds at the thrift store, and I was pleased that I didn't bring anything home that I didn't absolutely love ... don't you find that sometimes you just can't decide whether to pick something up or not?  Invariably I regret having brought too much home, and although it's inexpensive, it still takes up space, which is at a premium at my house. 
 
But the "icing" on the cupcake came when the mail was delivered later that afternoon, and I received my surprise prize from the lovely Hazel at Cupcakery!!!  Hazel, this little package couldn't have come on a better day :)  It really gave me something to smile at, and your little note was so funny.  I have never received anything from Ireland either, and it just made me feel very special to receive these lovely cookbooks from you ...
 
 
For those of you who follow Hazel's blog, you'll know that Hazel has a wicked sweet tooth and loves to bake ... especially cakes.  These two books do not disappoint!!   There are beautiful photos through both books of all the amazing (and rich!) cakes.  I mean just look at that cupcake on the cover!  The ingredients are surprisingly straightforward, and most ingredients you'd have in your cupboard already.  I can't wait to try out the recipes, and my family has chosen their favourites for me to try too. 
 
Not only did Hazel send the books, but she also added these adorable little cupcake boxes ...
 
 
I use this same idea to give cookies as gifts, so these little boxes will certainly come in useful ... and they're just so gosh darned cute!
 
So a HUGE thank you Hazel, for the lovely surprise from overseas, you really made my day better!
 


 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Wendy
 
 
PS ... and this makes up my 4 Happy Things from 52 Weeks of Happy

25 comments:

  1. Hello Wendy
    Glad you are having some 'Me' time, the biscuit tin is lovely and so pretty, and your little teapot made me smile, it reminded me of my aunties pot, she was such a lovely kind lady
    Thea x
    PS Did you know that a brown teapot used to be called Brown Betty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thea, Yes! I did know that, and I have a big Brown Betty who's dusted off when company comes. My sister gave 'her' to me as a gift years ago and we've always called her by that name ;)

      Delete
  2. Wendy what a lovely gift from Hazel, and just when you needed it! I hope things have got better for you, and what a lovely tin to remind you of you family holiday! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ada, yes, the timing of the both the gift and the thrift finds couldn't have been better :)

      Delete
  3. What lovely thrift finds, Wendy, and the gift from Ireland is great. Lucky you :) Certainly things to make you happy.
    Life's challenges can be hard sometimes, I know. Hope things will get better soon.
    Wishing you a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilde, It IS the little things that we have to look to in brightening up some days. Enjoy your week too :)

      Delete
  4. sometimes a little shopping and treats in the mail-just do wonders for our spirits. I love the little tin, and I love tea pots too. nifty idea to hide a few cookies in the tea crock-hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retail therapy strikes again! But it was the package in the mail that really boost me up :) I don't usually hide cookies away, but lately cookies have been disappearing at an alarming rate ... drastic measures need to be taken! Have a great week Kathy ;)

      Delete
  5. Hey Wendy, so glad you bought that tin, a delightful reminder of your holiday. The tin is simply lovely and now it's in a home where it's appreciated.
    Talking about 'being drawn to things again' it's interesting how our tastes change over the years and we start to look back at things with more of an appreciation for them.
    Am feeling a little envious of the fact you live within walking distance of your thrift store AND it has 'aisles' indicating it's of some considerable size!! hehe

    So nice to receive a parcel in the mail and from Ireland too, that's rather special. Glad to hear it cheered you up, we all need a bit of that at times.
    Hope things are on the up and up now .......

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Claire about our changing tastes. I think (for me anyway) it has to do with hanging onto memories now that loved ones pass away. Now that my daughter is partially moving out of the house (university), she reminds me SO much of what I was like at that age. I didn't want anything that was old and dark, I wanted all bright, clean and fresh looking things .... and the bare minimum! I used to pride myself in having only things that I actually used and not much at all in the way of dust collectors. Now I find it's a bit more difficult to find a good balance. And yes, our thrift store is a good size, but I'd say 2/3 of it is clothing, and the aisles with the fun stuff in it are rather bare these days. Thanks for your kind comments Claire :)

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty tin I wouldn't have resisted either. I hope this week turns out to be less difficult ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we think alike ;) I expect I'll receive news this week to put my mind more at ease. Thank you for your kind words Sarah.

      Delete
  7. Hi Wendy, You've got lovely gifts. I can almost smell tea brewing in that pretty tea pot. Now, it needs a cozy :)
    Have a lovely week, Gaia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was thinking myself of knitting up a tea cozy! Enjoy your week too Gaia :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you made the most of what could have been a pretty crappy day. I tell you, last week was a doozy for me but we are on the upswing now. :) Love all your little purchases. Congrats on receiving the cake books. I'm sure your family will be very pleased with your recipe testing. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you're on the upswing Tammy ... I hope the walks helped you there. News received on Friday was the crappy part of my day, still trying to sort out things in my head. Enjoy your week, and hopefully I'll be able to share some success from the cookbooks soon.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your nice comment :)

    Oh Tammy Im so sorry you had a ruff day but I, like the other ladies here, am so glad you found a few lovely trinkets to brighten your day. For me, a shopping trip does wonders, even if I dont buy anything. Just the time to myself is sometimes all I need. All your finds are lovely and congrats on winning the lovely cook books.
    Hope you get good news and that the rest of your week will be good :)
    Hugs, Birgitta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgitta, Well, as you can see, a little retail therapy often brightens my day too, my trouble is that I DO buy things when I go out. Cheaper than a psychiatrist! Have a good week!

      Delete
  10. ~ Being on here is some times the kindness and light relief that is needed...Isn't it just! ~ Love the pretty tin, Wendy so special! When I used to visit my Mum ( awful difficult times) I used to take time out in a little church nearby the nursing home...In fact I got that I couldn't go to see mum until I had been to the church towards the end days...~ I hope your week is kinder to you...~ Ooh and enjoy making and baking with that wonderful give away! Peeps on here are just so lovely! ~ Love Maria x ( sad weekend for us baby Larry didn't make it) Farm life is so cruel...But he did know kindness in those short days he was here..x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Maria. More of the same here. Everyone's kind comments do help, and I'm glad to have them this time round. I'm so sorry to hear that Larry didn't make it (and here everyone was so worried for his mother) ... so sad when sweet little babies don't make it. Oh dear, getting a heavy heart now, must move onto something cheerful like feeding Smudge here beside me ;) Thanks again Maria, have a good day!

      Delete
  11. I hope you are having a better day today, Wendy! I enjoyed seeing all your little finds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, days are a bit better thank you. My little finds and SUMMER WEATHER today have boosted things considerably ;)

      Delete
  12. Thinking of you Wendy
    Ali x
    PS Love those beautiful brown pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali :) I'm very pleased with the brown pots too ... such a cozy shade of brown.

      Delete
  13. You are so very welcome Wendy! Thank you for taking part :) I am so glad to have sweetened your day. Hazel xxx

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...