Friday, January 17, 2014

Knit a Block a Week 2

This week I chose Block No. 4 "Threaded Ribbons".  I was curious about the way the vertical stripes were created with the slipped stitch, so thought I'd give it a try.  Since I don't have that much left in my stash suitable for these squares, I was left with the pink/green/white variegated yarn, black, grey, gold and brown.  Hmmm ... sort of a dog's breakfast when put together, so I just went with the variegated yarn and brown. 
 
 
The slipped stitch continues for as many as four rows in places on the same stitch, which tends to curl the square a bit as you work, but not too badly when it's finished.  The slipped stitch forms a loose loop on the front of the work, which creates the nice vertical stripe which you can see in this close-up:


The sides curled towards the back, and maybe if there was one knit stitch on each end that would alleviate that problem. 
 
The actual knitting was quite easy, but keeping track of the row you're on was the only challenge for me, so I kept a handy little tick sheet to keep track ... I use these on the simplest of projects, so maybe that's just my own muddled brain ;)

The colours remind me of chocolate-covered peppermints!  Or maybe the stained-glass windows of a gingerbread cottage?  Whichever ... I swear I could smell mint as I knit this.  Here's the block before blocking:



front
back
With a bit of blocking:

 
And after blocking:
still curling top/bottom and sides :[
 
back
Once this is knit into a blanket, the curling won't show.  Again this block turned out to be 7-inches square.



Thanks for stopping by!
 
Wendy
 
 http://lindacraftycorner.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/knit-block-link-up.html
 

15 comments:

  1. Another great block Wendy! I totally see what you mean about the peppermint, I think it is coming through the computer screen, it seems to have turned into peppermint bark now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely Wendy, I like the colour combination and the stained glass window description. I have to keep track of my rows too and have a ticky sheet, my problem is I sometimes forget to tick then I'm lost haha. I will keep in mind what you have said about knitting a stitch at the beginning of the rows to see if it will help the curl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful pattern Wendy! I love the colors you chose and the brown background. i would love to have a blanket or scarf with this pattern :) nice work, have a goodnight!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another intriguing block! Such a great way to learn new techniques and experiment with colour combinations. I used to do a similar thing with bibs - essentially a block with i-cord ties. But now there are no longer babies around here. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING! I love that the colors pop in those squares! Can my knitting speed up to look like yours! Ha! Maybe one day! So much prettiness Wendy!! Such an outstanding block! A happy weekend to you! And I see that you are going to join the grow your blog party! Me too! I can't wait...we are going to have so much fun!!!! Nicole xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is looking exciting Wendy, well done and all the best with it as it grows! Hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely little pattern, I'm looking forward to seeing this blanket! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a beautiful pattern and I love the color combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These colors are so pretty with the brown! What a great combination! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab square Wendy - love the colours..definately has a chocolatey feel!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that? I love the variegated yarn with the brown yarn. I've only just begun my foray into the knitting world so this is all new to me. I guess it is going on my list of new things to try. Oh, and you are not the only muddle brained knitter, well, there are at least two of us now! LOL! I can't keep track of stitches for the life of me... I almost gave up knitting because of the constant ripping out I was having to do! Some improvements have been made so I remain optimistic :D
    Hugs my sweet blogging sister,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I like this. It looks really interesting. It actually reminds me of those white mints that have little bits of gummy candy on the inside. I have no idea what they're called, but they're chalky and gummy at the same time, and they often have red, yellow or black (licorice) on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this looks great, the colours are fab, reminded me of chocolate peppermints too!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it Wendy! It does look like chocolate covered mints!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I am pretty sure my Nana had a blanket thrown over her sofa like this in the 70's... I think it's super kitsch looking. Fab. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...