Saturday, January 07, 2017

Noro Yarn

I'm linking up today with Jennifer of Thistlebear for her
Winter Project Link Party. Thank you for hosting Jennifer!

Late in the fall I was approached by Yarn Canada and asked to do a review of one of the many yarns they carry, Noro Kureyon Yarn. This yarn is 100% wool, hand-dyed, worsted weight wool. The colourways are all variegated, or self-striping. I was given three balls of yarn of my choice in exchange for this review. These are the three I chose, but you can see all the choices available through the link.

top to bottom:  #263 #332 #368 






I did a little research on the Noro yarns, and found this scarf project on Jared Flood's site. Although the yarn he used was the Noro Silk Garden yarns, I thought the same effect would easily be achieved using the bulkier Noro Kureyon yarn that was offered to me. What you're doing in making this scarf is manually striping the variegated yarn. I actually need four balls of yarn to achieve this, and will be ordering a fourth ball now that I've got started on it, but right now I'm working with two balls of yarn. 

The most difficult part of the project is choosing the yarn! There are so many beautiful colourways to choose from, but I wanted to choose two green/blue yarns and then something that would accent it nicely. All the colours that come up in each ball of yarn are listed on the ordering page which is very helpful. It did take me a while to finally come up with my choices, but they all look nice together. 

When the box of yarns arrived, I was fascinated by the rich colours within each ball of yarn. Lovely earthy tones in vibrant hues. Gorgeous! I rewound all the skeins into balls to start the project, and just in rewinding them I was able to see the lovely kaleidescope of colours within each ball. There are a lot of colours that run through each ball! And no two colours are repeated. As you are knitting, you are exposed to the colour changes very quickly, but they change so subtly, that it's as if you're painting and blending those colours yourself. The manual striping technique doubles the pleasure with two balls of yarn being used at the same time.

Now this yarn is 100% wool, and it has that lovely texture of pure wool that you don't get from synthetic yarns. I prefer working with natural fibres as they feel so nice on the hands. There is no "squeaking" of the yarn on the needles! The last two scarves I knit were made from acrylic and that squeakiness of the acrylic yarn on the needles is like nails run down a chalkboard for me. ugh! This Noro yarn is lovely to work with, although it does tend to twist itself together which causes it to tangle as you knit. Something to keep on top of continuously or you end up with a tangled mess. 



I'm knitting this in 1 x 1 ribbing (knit 1, purl 1), and it's working up really nicely like that. It's lying completely flat, which is great to show off the colours. My goal was to highlight the colours and texture of the yarn more than an intricate pattern. I'm using No. 8 needles, and have made the scarf about 8 inches wide, but I'm not sure I have enough yarn to make it a good length. 




There is a rustic nature to this yarn as well. You can see the difference in the stitches as the yarn goes from skinny to chunky in several spots. This gives a wonderful texture throughout the finished piece with little knubby bits scattered across the finished work.



There was one thing I did not like. In each of the two balls of yarn I'm working with at the moment, there was a knot joining two strands of yarn together. I was aware of one of the knots and saw it coming off the ball. Before I started on the next row, I moved the yarn past the knot before I started knitting again. The second knot I did not see and it showed up near the end of the row I was knitting. I had to rip back to the beginning of that row so that the knot wouldn't be in the finished work. I was surprised that for such nice (and expensive) yarn, there were knots. Not only that, but as I've watched the colours change so subtly, suddenly there is a sharp change to the colouring as the knots connected two completely different colours. One knot connected a dark purple and black which was alright. The second knot connected a greenish yellow to brilliant orange. This threw off the delicate shading which disappointed me. I had considered taking out the orange completely, but have left it in for now. I think in the end it will blend in alright as the scarf lengthens and more colours are thrown into the mix.

As I was knitting this in the sunshine, I couldn't help but admire the colours emerging from the balls, and also emerging into the knitted garment. I'm really enjoying knitting up this scarf. The final question is "would I use this yarn again". The answer is "Yes!".  Although the skeins are expensive for my own budget ($9.95 Cdn for a 50g/100m ball of yarn), it's sometimes nice to splurge for a small project, and I know I'll be happy with this scarf when it's complete. I also thought this yarn would make a gorgeous tea cozy, and might consider making one in the future.





Thanks for stopping by today!

Wendy

27 comments:

  1. The colors are stunning! Hate it when I hit a knot in the yarn, even cheap yarn. Love wool, but can't wear it or cashmere or angora, strictly acrylic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, great review. The colors are pretty. It will be a lovely scarf when done. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy. Useful info. The colour graduations are beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed scarf. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! I do love the way the colors blend together. This is going to be a very lovely and cozy scarf! Thanks for the review. Natural fibers really are wonderful. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noro certainly has a dedicated following! I've never used it, but I see lots of projects made with it. I think what you said about the color changes must be the secret - that feature really captivates knitters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favourite yarns, I have used it a lot. It is loosely and irregularly spun and easily breaks or pulls apart (which probably explains the knots). The scarf is going to be amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what loveliness! The colors are indeed rich and seeing them in the sunshine makes them look even warmer :) Can't wait to see your project completed.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours of the yarn are so rich and lovely - perfect for a scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent review on this lovely yarn; thank you Wendy. Love the glorious colours intertwining in each ball of this yarn. All your photos are stunning, Wendy. This beautiful yarn is going to knit into a lovely one-of-a-kind scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours throughout are stunning, a really beautiful mix. It certainly will be a stunning scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors are even more gorgeous in the sunshine! I can crochet better than I can knit...which isn't saying a whole lot! haha! But I love working with beautiful yarn like this. It boosts your mood and warms your hands in the winter. Enjoy your day sweet lady. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely colour combo, too bad about the knots. The scarf will be nice and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful colors! Materials made using this colored thread will look beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors and the sunshine and shadows shots are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such pretty colours! I know nothing about knitting, but always appreciate the final product. I hope you do a tea cozy...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Noro yarn. The colors are so amazing! But not nice when you get a messy knot in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love the colours of the Noro yarn. I'll have to look for it and give it a try. Hopefully it will be knot-free...very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful yarn and gorgeous colour choices Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Wendy, thank you for joining in with my link party. I really like this yarn, the colors are beautiful and it's knitting up really nicely in your scarf. I hope it continues to be a pleasure to use and that you enjoy the scarf too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful colours on the balls of yarn but an approaching knot would not be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The colors are beautiful! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to get to try out this yarn, such beautiful colors! I can imagine the knots and sudden color changes were a bit of a disappointment, but luckily you were able to make adjustments. The scarf looks really amazing! Love all the colors. Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The colours and the texture is lovely Wendy but I agree with your feelings about the knots....enjoy your knitting ! Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful colours. I hate finding knots! It's a shame that they interfere with the colour changes too. Your scarf is looking great already and as you said, I think the colours will all blend nicely in the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning, stopping by to say hello-the yarn is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...