Wednesday, September 13, 2017

End of Summer Garden

We've been having some absolutely gorgeous weather here in southern Ontario for the month of September! Warm days and cool nights ... perfect combination for excellent fall colours coming to us soon. When we were up north last Monday, many of the trees had started to turn already, and some maple trees had completely turned. We'll be back again for one more fall camping trip very soon ... can't wait!

Back here at home, things have been going from dull to suddenly stressful in turns. I'll be happy to see the end of estate obligations by the end of this year. The gardening hasn't been as much consolation to me this summer as it has been in the past. I think because we had so much rain all through summer that I didn't feel motivated to get out and keep things in check and move things around like I normally do. Almost everything was left alone.

Here are a few shots of the flowers blooming out there now ...





played with this photo a bit :)

balloon flower


love lies bleeding did well, although it has since been trimmed up by chipmunks!!






I've waited three years for my milkweed to produce seed pods

Heavenly Blue morning glory
There is a nice patch of turtlehead flowers which I forgot to take photos of. I did move some of these to a new location, and I hope they spread well there. These are a flower that have done really well, and although they spread, it's done slowly over many years. The black-eyed Susans are a favourite of mine and I've transplanted them all over my yard. Love the deep yellow at this time of year, it just looks so cheery! 

I hope things are well wherever you live. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected through the recent hurricanes and on-going wild fires out west. My brother tells me that even in Victoria, there is fine ash settling over everything there. These disasters are not something we have ever had to deal with in my area, and seeing all of the damage on the news is incredible. Stay safe.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Wendy

Last Monday :)

15 comments:

  1. I wish we could have breathing space before tackling estate issues. Sometimes we make poor decisions because of the stress of it all. Went through some horrors when my husband passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is always very pretty Wendy, lots to see and admire, and I am in love with your beautiful wooden chairs. They are stunning. I'm with you on the Estate business, which I have found an ongoing stress. Sometimes it crushes my spirit and I can't write my blog! I too am hoping for an end of it by years' end.
    Enjoyed a laugh at plant trimmed by chipmunks; here they are trimmed by possums and by cockatoos. A gardener's occupational hazard. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, your flowers and plants are all beautiful. Lovely garden. I like the view of the lake. My prayers go out to all the victims of the hurricanes and the wildfires. I hope you have less stressful days ahead. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks so pretty, love the Rudbekia. My garden is all weeds, I made my first foray out there yesterday to start pulling weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather has been girgeous this month, hope it continues right into Fall. Our daughter lives in Victoria and she said smoke and ash are a daily occurance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had too much rain and we had too little. I wonder if the prairie provinces had just enough. It reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears! The wildfires are continuing to be terrible - so much loss. I haven't noticed too much smoke and ash lately; the sky is blue now when it wasn't for so long.
    Your rudbeckia are gorgeous and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flowers look fantastic. Lots of color on the trees in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful garden of colour you have! There is just something to be said about how wonderful a few flowers make our lives, planted or cut and brought inside. Love the black eyed susans and how nice that your milkweed has pods this year! What a wonderful chair to sit in and enjoy the yard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden still looks lovely. Ours is starting to look a bit bedraggled

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice flowers! Is that a purple succulent? I think that this is the worst wildfires in years. So scary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy...Thank you for your lovely comments over on my blog. You are very kind. I hope you are well. Your garden looks so beautiful. Ours is beginning to show the effects of Autumn here (which is my favourite season) but it's also showing the horrors of some building work at the moment too but oh the plans I have when we have finished. Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful flowers! And yes, this is a gorgeous time of year. I love the weather and all the beautiful colors. Nice you get to enjoy one more camping trip. We are clearing out parts of our backyard forest, and I saw a little spot perfect for pitching a little tent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the color in the gardens at this time of year...yours and mine! Despite the rain (and rain and rain) some of my perennials managed to bloom, even though many are doing it in a semi-recumbent position, having been plastered down by the rains over and over again.
    On the milkweed, I have some up by the goat barn that has been slowly spreading but still not blooming - I suspect it is simply not getting enough light. The milkweed patch in the more open terrace garden was much larger this year, and there were many flowers and seed pods. Still haven't seen any monarchs, though. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The garden flowers and plants are so pretty. Those morning glories are so pretty! I am trying to play catchup. Irma put us out of commission for a bit with power and flooding. But I am praising the Lord as we experienced nothing compared to others. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...