Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Winter White & Shadows

 
The needles on our white pine are stiff in the chill wind today.  That blinkety blue sky is deceiving in the winter ... it looks bright, sunny and warm outside, but there's a bone-chilling wind blowing.

It may be a bit late to post about Groundhog Day ... apparently the Nova Scotia groundhog spied his shadow which proclaims six more weeks of winter.  Our Ontario groundhog begs to differ ... he saw no shadow which means spring is 'just around the corner'.   Well it's bitterly cold here again today, and the wind is making it feel like -15'C!  I personally think it's going to be a while before we see any buds on the trees.

So a tiny bit of winter white thrifting ... and I mean 'tiny'


This little rabbit was in a small bag of knick knacks ... he's so miniscule I almost missed him!  He's winking ....

 
... and he sees his shadow :(  ... six more weeks of winter
 
 
Next was a little white mouse!  So cute with his tiny painted whiskers. 
 
 
But he also saw his shadow ...
 
 
... shadows everywhere!
 
 
Even my garden critters are seeing their shadows ...
 
 
Garden Toad King
 
I'm afraid I don't quite agree with our provincial groundhog ... winter still has his teeth biting us here, and although it's not been a particularly snowy winter in our area, it has definitely been cold! 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Wendy
 

13 comments:

  1. I love your tiny thrifted critters, I myself love little things as they do not take up too much room, I have two printers trays and they all live there, quite happily mostly :-)
    I've only seen the corny film groundhog day and don't know much about it as we don't have it here...
    Spring is also A while away on this little island, we have the same cold wind, brrrrr
    keep warm and toastie
    and thanks for your lovely comments :-)
    love sophie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groundhog Day (Feb 2) consists of watching & waiting for a groundhog to come out of his burrow. If he sees his shadow, he gets scared and runs back into his burrow ... this means six more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see his shadow and stays outdoors ... this means spring is right around the corner. Silly stuff ... but what else is there to look forward to in the middle of winter in Canada? Wendy

      Delete
  2. Hey Wendy, I did get a giggle out of this post, but I'm sure you're looking forward to warmer temps and soon!!!

    Te first pic does make it look lovely outside.
    My hubby and son are heading over to Toronto on the 16th of Feb and are keeping an eye on the temps, willing them to rise. Meanwhile I have been madly hunting through wardrobes looking for the coats they bought on their last Winter trip o/s.
    It's warming up again here, heading to 38 deg today, but at the moment there is a lovely breeze blowing and it's quite comfortable......

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 38?! Even with a breeze it still sounds hot! Hopefully your men won't suffer greatly from the climate change ... but I sure hope you find their winter coats!! Wendy

      Delete
  3. I shan't moan about the cold now I've read this (well not for a few hours at least!), I've been a real grump over the last couple of days, more snow is forecast, but it's warmer than where you are! So no grumpy Mrs today, well til lunch time! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More snow here later today ... "biggest storm since 2011" ... and we had A LOT of snow that year, non-stop snow, the kind of snow that you had no where else to put the next shovel full off your driveway. Should be fun :) Hope you get over your grump ;) Wendy

      Delete
  4. I still have faith in our Ontario groundhog. It's quite possible Nova Scotia WILL get 6 more weeks and we won't. They seem to have it much worse. It is cold today though. You're right about that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay you win. Winter's here! ;)

      Delete
    2. I take no comfort in that win ... I ache in every bone from shoveling our driveway FOUR times today. Thankfully my husband is out there now clearing the end of the drive where the snowplow filled us in (plow only went by at 5:00p.m.!!) And it's STILL SNOWING!!! argh Wendy

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just hopped over from Chantille Fleur to say hello! Love your little bunny & mouse, and stay safe in the storm. More snow forecast here for the weekend but hoping it'll just be a light dusting as I have places to be!
    Look forward to following your bloggy adventures,
    love Gilly
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gilly, and thanks for following my blog. It's been snowing straight since yesterday afternoon ... SO much snow!! I hope you're able to get around this weekend where you are. Wendy

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...