Tuesday, February 03, 2015

The Owlets are Hatching!

Update: One egg has hatched and you can see the tiny owlet here when the mother leaves the nest.

As I've mentioned before I've been thrilled to be able to view a nesting Great Horned Owl through the live camera with Cornell Lab at this site.
Embedded image permalink
this is a still that the lab folks posted on Twitter
Yesterday it was noted that a pip has begun on one of the eggs! They expect the owlet will hatch within the next 24 hours. I find this so exciting, and have been keeping the bird cam open on my laptop this morning hoping to catch some of the action. There are a few previous videos that you can watch since this pair of owls took over this nest. Just click on "Great Horned Owl Highlights" in the grey bar below the video screen. You can see the owl gulping down an entire meal (I think it was a small bird). Amazing close-up videos.  Also, there are 'tweets' along the side bar of the video screen where people have been sharing what they saw. This video continues 24 hours with an infra-red light at night. You don't miss a thing!

I hope you visit the site and enjoy this special glimpse into an owl's private life.

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy 

11 comments:

  1. How exciting, I love watching things like this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to go out this afternoon.. that'll be when the first owlet shows himself!
    Jane x
    PS Thanks so much for posting the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Wendy,

    How brilliant is this, the wonders of Technology and Nature at best.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, it must have been fun to watch it hatch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love these bird cams. My son has been watching a bald eagle nest in, I think, Iowa, for about a year. It's been empty awhile but he keeps checking back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched for a few minutes - what a huge owl compared to the little squeakers I posted about. Today the two were inside their hole in the ground but one peeked out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very exciting!!! You will have to let us know when the birth occurs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought of emailing you when the baby was visible yesterday, but then I realized you were probably already watching ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...