Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Talkin' Turkey

Linking up with Eileen and her Saturday Critters!

This morning just after 7:00 a.m. while my little charge was eating breakfast, we witnessed an unusual sight in my backyard. A wild turkey suddenly appeared over the fence!! I was just amazed to see this woodland bird as I live in the middle of town, and here was this enormous bird strutting through the yard. He flew up to the fence between my neighbour's and my yard, and then strutted through their yard, and the next yard. I sure hope he found a safe way back to some wooded area because I'm very close to a busy six-lane highway, and he certainly wouldn't have made it across there. I've never seen a turkey in my neighbourhood before. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of him.


Anyway, I took it as a sign that I should visit the marsh today where there are lots of birds, including turkeys! With all kids in tow we headed out this morning. When we arrived and started tossing a few seeds out to the Canada geese and the mallard ducks, suddenly turkeys came stealthily through the woods. First just one or two, but before we knew it we were surrounded by 15 wild turkeys! 


And it's mating season, so the Toms were in full display and bright colours trying to lure in the girls. Of course, the girls only had their eyes set on our bird seeds and were giving the Toms the cold shoulder ... brrrr!  I was able to witness the Toms fighting last spring at this time.





Just look at these displaying birds! Fluffed and puffed to a brilliance that couldn't be ignored.



But ignored they were. The hens were just too focused on a food frenzy.



So the Toms had a little huddle and a little gobble, and then their feathers settled back down, and they strutted with their heads held high in practiced indifference back to the woods.


Spring is in the air!


Thanks for stopping by today!

Wendy

gobble! gobble!




24 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a fun sighting for all. The toms are handsome, great captures of all the turkeys. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! They really are fun to see. We've been surprised at how many we see here in Florida! Enjoy your week sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, your photos of the turkeys are fantastic! Wow, you got some great shots. They're such interesting birds. You wouldn't expect them to be so colorful but they really are. I'm glad you had a chance to see them up close. The children must have loved it. I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow how cool to see all of those turkeys Wendy! Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! We have wild turkeys here, have seen them on some of our coastal islands, but never in my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get them every so often but mainly they like to walk the country roads and ditches . Lovely photos .Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you for seeing wild turkeys! They certainly are beautiful and you captured some very wonderful photos! I've never seen them in the wild - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool turkey shots, Wendy! This is the first time that I've heard of a turkey sighting in an urban area! There used to be a woman at my office who liked turkeys so whenever I encountered a turkey tchotchke during my treasure hunts, I would pick them up for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos Wendy of the turkeys on walkabout.
    Maybe they've decided they want to live near you or, on the other hand they could be lost!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Beautiful feathers. Lovely photos, Wendy!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos and the narrative you told are great! I can just imagine the scene from your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your photos are incredible!!!! They are so amazing! Really! Glad you went out and about. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Love it Wendy! Great photos!! ;) We had some wild turkeys in our neighborhood last year too. However, a lot of my neighborhood borders woods like our home does. Still, it was weird to be driving my daughter to school in the morning and waiting for a turkey to cross the street. Lol

    Yay Spring!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are the most amazing wildlife photos Wendy! We used to regularly get wild turkeys in our yard but I never saw them in such glorious detail as you have shown here. Your description of the hens ignoring the toms made me laugh. It sounded all too human. Thank you for sharing that with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Wendy, I loved this turkey post. Awesome photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic!
    Have a great week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are so beautiful... And great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Wendy~I just happened upon your blog, lovely. You have captured some great photos of those Tom turkeys. We have fourteen wild turkeys that I feed hen scratch to every morning. Right now it is that time of year when the Tom's are strutting their stuff for the ladies. I stand amazed at the beauty of their coloring.
    Lovely post~~

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing, Wendy. Who knew wild turkeys could be this gorgeous? Well, I'm sure some people did, but not me :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely shots of the Turkeys. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. made my day :) So cool, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Popping in again just to say hello and that I have missed you!
    I trust that you are doing well, sweet lady?

    The Lord bless you~~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...