Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hermione Hearts Ron Hat

My daughter, like many kids her age, literally grew up with the Harry Potter books.  They were her first big dive into a hefty chapter book.  The last books that I ever read to her, and the first books that she read to herself.  She absolutely loved the books and still reads them.  She's read the covers right off two of the volumes and asked for replacements, but they had to be the same hardcover editions (ie. the original publications).  I was lucky enough to find them at the thrift store for her last Christmas.  So she's happy again.

A while ago I showed her a hat I found on Ravelry called "Hermione Hearts Ron" by Christy Aylesworth (I love the way everyone copied the upside down photo that Christy first posted with her hat!).  My daughter took one look and said "Oh! I love that hat!!".  She recognized it right away from the movie, and was thrilled when I said I would knit it for her.  It took a while to get started because I didn't have the very fine wool that the pattern requested.  I had some really nice, soft alpaca/wool blend though, and finally decided to just dive in and use that.  It turned out not quite as delicate as the original pattern, but I like it.  It's just a little bit more "fuzzy & thick" than the original.

 
I've never blocked the few hats that I have made.  Does anyone else block their hats?  I just wonder if a bit of blocking would flatten the cables on the top of the hat a little bit.  It might be okay when it's on my daughter's head.  She has a smaller head than me, so I dare not stretch it over my big noggin!
 
 
 
 
And one thing I wanted to point out about these photos ... I took Shari's advice and turned my camera to the manual settings for these three photos.  The only alteration I made to each photo was to crop them down.  The lighting is exactly as I took it. I'm really pleased with the way they turned out  Thanks for some great advice Shari!
 
Now I just have to wait for my daughter to come home next weekend from university so I can take an upside down photo of her wearing this hat to put on Ravelry ;)
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Wendy
 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. This hat is absolutely adorable! Hats are my favorite knitted item and I'd wear this in a heart beat! Your daughter will be so excited to have it - lucky girl! Your photos look great! I love the manual setting on my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hat is amazing Wendy!!! I mean I absolutely love this hat.... Everything about it! The detail work is gorgeous..you seriously need to give yourself more credit in the knitting department because you are so talented!!!! She is going to love it!!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful hat and I am sure your daughter looks great in it. Nice photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter sounds like my niece, she has read her HP books until they have fallen apart too! The hat is great, really so very very pretty. I love the way that the cables all come together at the top and make such a neat finish and add to the pattern. Your photos look great too, the advice from Shari was obviously spot on - she takes great pictures's doesn't she! Wish that I had a camera that did manual - one day perhaps! I hope that your daughter loves wearing it as much as I have loved looking at it - the hat that is!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sweet hat, and great photos of it Wendy. It's fun to experiment with a camera outside of the auto settings.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison hearts Wendy's hat!! Looks fab - especially great from the top!
    I'm a huge HP fan...Neville's my fave character!
    Hope your daughter hearts wearing it!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's going to love it! WOW! You did such a great job and the photos are good, too. Very nice my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful hat Wendy, I'm sure your girl will love it - and didn't Shari give you some good expert advice - you've photographed it beautifully!
    I don't think you need to be concerned about the crown of the hat, but if you really are then you could turn it inside out and - without actually touching the fabric - give it a light steam with the iron over the crown and then pull it gently into the shape you prefer, but it does look great to me! Well done!
    Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy, wow what a nice cabled hat you made for your daughter. I know she is going to love it! You are lucky your husband makes dinner. My husband makes a nice breakfast. Take care and have a nice weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful, Wendy! I rarely block hats, just if there is need...but looking at yours I'd say it is perfect the way it is. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great hat, Wendy! I'm sure your daughter will absolutely love it. Enjoy your weekend,
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Wendy! Beautiful job. Your daughter will be thrilled I'm sure. Have a lovely weekend :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's a hat to keep ones head very cosy.....do you think it has magical powers! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just what we need for our winters.It is a lovely grey,and you have knitted it pretty. I also love the way you have photographed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A delightful looking hat...

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great hat - the cables are fabulous. Your daughter must be a similar age to my son as they were the last books I read to him and the first big chapter books he read to himself. In fact I only got half way through the second one before he decided he would like to read them to himself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Hat! The best way I've found to block a hat is over a balloon. Just blow it up to about the right size (maybe a little smaller...) soak the hat and smooth it over the balloon. Set the balloon in a glass and voila! Perfectly blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful!! I absolutely adore cables. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great hat! I've never ventured into cables, yet but they always intrigue me. One of these days it will be the day to tackle cables! Hope your daughter fell in love with it right away!
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think my kids were in HS when the HP craze was in full swing. But the craze surely wasn't limited to kids -- I remember sitting on an airplane and several adults had the books too. That is a wonderful hat. Love your cables -- so neat.

    Thanks for the link to Shari's blog. I'm bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pattern of this hat-very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Wendy... oh my... I just love it and the colour is just gorgeous! Huge HP fans in the Cupcakery Household... this hat, wow! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...