Thursday, January 09, 2014

Knit a Block a Week Challenge

I've joined the Knit a Block a Week Challenge hosted by Linda at Linda's Crafty Corner.  It was a hard choice to pick just one block to knit, but since I have other projects on the go at the moment, I did choose only one block. 
 
Block No. 94 "Toronto" of the book 200 Knitted Blocks was the finalist this week.  The name of the block jumped out at me since I live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) in Ontario.  So, of course, it was meant to be, and here is my version of the block.

 
 
I knit this with some type of acrylic, but I seem to have lost the wrapper.  It's just inexpensive stuff from Michael's craft store.  I'm still not very good with understanding different types of yarn (ie. sport weight, double knit ...), so I can only tell you that the yarn is 4-ply, and my finished block measured 7 1/2 " across, knit on size 6 US needles.  The squares are supposed to be 6" across, so I'll have to go down a size in needles to accomplish that I guess.  The garter stitch knitting in this block is quite dense, and the block is made up of 4 smaller squares which are joined together to form the "X" in the middle, all of which makes for a very sturdy block indeed. 
 
I like the way the square knits up because the double increase in the middle of each row pulls the row into a point and you're actually knitting a diamond shape.  When it's off the needles, it looks like you knit one way and then another, but it's just straight knitting and was really very easy to do.  The sewing up gave me more grief, but I just had to be careful that I joined the little squares on the right edge, otherwise a narrow gap formed between the blocks.
 
I like the colour combinations in this variegated yarn, and as I took the photos, I realized the same colours were mirrored in my little Christmas cactus.
 
 
And here's a little peek at the project that is nearing completion for my son.  I'm sure some of you will be able to guess what it is, but don't ruin the surprise for others!
 
 
I just need to buy some more yarn to complete it ... I can't wait to have it finished :)
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Wendy
 
http://lindacraftycorner.blogspot.ca/2014/01/knit-block-link-up.html
 

18 comments:

  1. Hey good for you joining in on Linda's fun! I wanted to join but didn't realize it at first but you have to have the "book" and I don't have that book so it looks like I will just sit back and watch and see what you all come up with. Love your square....these days it's all about knit for me!
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like so much fun friend!!! And your square is just lovely!!! I can not wait to see your finished piece for your son...looks very cool!!! You will be happy to know that I will be starting knitting classes at a local shop by my house...I am a bit nervous at all I have to learn but hey if you never try ya never know...right?!?! Wishing you a very wonderful weekend Wendy!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the same challenge. Your block is very pretty. I like the multi-colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block is lovely Wendy, I look forward to seeing how you progress with this project! The description of how you knitted this is amazing to me the non knitter!! I think that I know what you are knitting for your son, but I won't say in case I spoil the fun. Happy crafting!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your block Wendy it's turned out lovely with the variegated yarn. Thank you for all your descriptive comments it will help others who are doing the challenge a great deal. The project for your son looks very interesting, I'm dying to see what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh Wendy your square is fabulous! Love the colours and the pattern is great.
    Haha Love your son's present - instantly recognised it! You certainly are a speedy stitcher!
    Looking forward to seeing more blocks and the finished project!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Wendy I know exactly what your sons present is... oh I am so excited! Can you be my Mom too?? :) Your block turned out lovely- isn't great to be involved in something that gets you motivated about your craft? I love bake-alongs for that reason too! Pushes you out of the same ol' same o! Looking forward to more blocks and patterns :) Have a great day my dear, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your block Wendy, the variated colour cooks stunning, but the pattern sounds complicated.
    Looking forward to seeing more blocks.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fun, and I love your block too-it has "character"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that block pattern is so cool!!!!!!

    I am still not doing well, with continuing my learning to knit project. I know how to knit simply, now. Even have a simple knitting started, in a yarn and color I love. My issue is keeping at it.

    I am so like this. -sob- Get an idea. Run with it. Lose interest in it. Adult attention deficit disorder or some such? -sigh-

    I know. Just make myself pick it up and do it, for 10 mins., every evening. Before I start to read. Duhhhhhh me. :-))))))

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got that pattern (the secret one...) and plan on making a few!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just left a comment and blogger gave me an 'oops, that's an error' message and my comment is gone! Ugh. I think I just said that I like your square and I like that it matches your Christmas cactus and I know what your son's gift is even though I really don't know what it is, if that makes any sense! I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Wendy, your knitted block is so pretty and whatever you are making your son! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment! Wow it's cold by you too! Stay warm and have a nice weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretty colours your block is! And yes, I can guess but I'm keeping schtum :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy, you are like a one-woman knitting factory! I love the colors you used for the block, and the project for your son is going to be wonderful.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh what a great idea! Love this. Thank you so much for such a lovely comment on my blog. I'm thrilled to now have found your space and am enjoying reading through your posts. I'm a September girl too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your block, Wendy! The colors are very pretty. I can tell what you're making for your son! I won't say anything, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your block is very intriguing. Sounds like one of those projects that's fascinating to knit up. Zimmermann-like! And I would never, ever have guessed what the last project was.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...